I am happy to announce BlackHoodie #3, a free reverse engineering workshop for women, taking place the 25th and 26th of November in the beautiful city of Luxembourg. :D The first two editions rocked my socks off, quite literally; I got to meet the most stunning crowd of engineers on both occasions.
The workshop will be held at the offices of CIRCL, the Computer Incident Response Center Luxembourg, whose fine people kindly offered space and support. Also, this year there will again be one or two or more travel grants, to be given out to participants who cannot afford the trip on their own. Please note, the grants will be distributed by random selection. I will post more details, as soon as I figured them out :)
Finally, I'm insanely thrilled this will be happening again. I'm looking forward to the next most wonderful workshop, with oh so many inspiring participants, who then walk out and stir up our industry.
Why women only?
Because a girl-to-girl conversation is so much more fruitful than a full classroom with only one or two women hiding in the corners. I've done so many things in my life where I was the only girl among X other participants, and I promise I've been hiding in the corners more than once.
For the gents it might not be that obvious, but it is not easy for young women who haven't yet found their place in life to walk into a class room, a university lecture, an office, or a conference room full of men. Who, generally speaking, often seem to be very comfortable where they are.
I've had girls in my classes before, hiding and holding back. I am certain they would have been capable of so much more than what their final results showed. So yeah, this will be women only, for every female should feel welcomed, and encouraged to do her best, and get the most out of it.
Why do we want to see more women in low-level technical jobs?
It’s difficult, but mastering something difficult makes you happy. I want all of you to be happy.
Also, it pays well. While money makes you also happy, what’s more important, the cash gives you courage and independence.
It keeps you busy. There are lots of open job positions globally for this kind of work. Better, believe it or not, it is addictively fun, and you might even find yourself a new hobby.
- There won't be slides, there will be you, and your debugger, only.
- Online preparation assignments, 4 of them, over the course of two months prior to the workshop
- Workshop 25./26. of November at CIRCL offices, Luxembourg
- No fees, no strings attached, all you have to do is get there
- Please register with your name or nickname and a short note about your background at blackhoodie at 0x1338 .at
- Being female
- Computer science background in a sense you understand programming logic, how a processor works and how an operating system works
- A Notebook capable of running at least one virtual machine
- A virtual machine, preferred WinXP 32-bit
- Guts :) (It is going to be a lot to learn in a very short time)
Please register with your name or nickname and a short note about your background at blackhoodie at 0x1338 .at. About two weeks before the event you will be asked for a final confirmation of your participation. Registration will close by September 3rd, 2017.